Summer Programs Policies
Camp Weeks for 2018
Week 1: June 10-14
Week 2: June 17-21
Week 3: June 24-28
Week 4: July 1-3 (No camp on Thursday, July 4 or Friday July 5th — all costs are reduced by 40 percent)
Week 5: July 8-12
Week 6: July 15-19
Week 7: July 22-26
Children participating in both sessions get a break on the playground with a snack from 10:15-10:45 a.m.
Camp Session Times
|Early Drop-Off||7:30-9 a.m.|
|Morning (a.m.) ||9 a.m.-noon|
|Lunch Bunch||Noon-1 p.m.|
|Afternoon (p.m.)||1-4 p.m.|
|After Care||4-5:30 p.m.|
Summer Camp Office Phone Number: 919-287-1763
Summer Camp Email Contact: Dan Gilson & Jennifer Thornton: firstname.lastname@example.org
A one-time per year/per camper $15 registration fee will be charged to cover fees, a camp shirt and use of our camp system, Thriva Active Network.
A minimum of $20 cancellation fee per camp will be applied to all camp withdrawals. This would not apply in cases of a camp being canceled by DA Summer Programs due to low enrollment. See the Refund Policy section for more details.
Fees associated with enrichment and athletic camps on a weekly basis:
- One Half-Day Camp Session: $190-$250*
- (7:30-9 a.m.) Early Drop Off: $60
- (Noon-1 p.m.) Lunch Bunch: $50
- (4-5:30 p.m.) After Care: $60
- $15/day drop in charge for lunch, Before Care or After Care.
*Extra fees cover either materials or rental costs.
*Week 4 camps are listed with a 40 percent discount on camp costs and discounts due to there being no camp on Thursday, July 4th or Friday, July 5th.
We also offer a $40 discount, as well as free Lunch Bunch supervision ($50) for anyone enrolling in both morning (A.M.) and afternoon (P.M.) camps on the same week! To receive these discounts, you must register for the same week morning and afternoon campus during the same registration session.
*If receiving free lunch supervision with an A.M. and P.M. camp of the same week, please do not select the lunch option when registering; it will be applied automatically at checkout.
Fees associated with the five-week-long academic courses:
- One Academic grades 1-12: $380 ($40 discount if you register for 2 academic camps)
- Camp Kindergarten, three weeks from 9 a.m.-noon: $550
- Five weeks of Morning Care $250
- Five weeks of Lunch Bunch $250
All camps meet and dismiss at Durham Academy Lower School, 3501 Ridge Road, Durham, NC, 27705.
Students taking academic courses or participating in morning camps should be dropped off at the main entrance to the Lower School between 8:50 and 9 a.m.
Students enrolled on afternoon camps should be dropped off at the main entrance to the Lower School between 12:50 and 1 p.m.
If you register for Before Care, you may drop off your child inside the gym at the Lower School anytime after 7:30 a.m.
Students taking "A" session academic courses (9-10:15 a.m.) should be picked up on the Lower School Playground after their class at 10:15 a.m. Students taking "B" session academic courses (10:45 a.m.-noon) should be picked up at the main entrance to the Lower School at noon.
Campers must be picked up from enrichments and athletics at the main entrance to the Lower School at noon for morning camps and 4 p.m. for afternoon camps.
If you have registered for After Care, pick up is by 5:30 p.m. in room 218B inside the Lower School Gym or the adjacent playground.
If your child has not been picked up within 10 minutes of the end of camp, he or she will be taken to the lunch/after care area, and will be billed as a drop-in to Lunch or After Care for an additional $15.
Students enrolled in both the morning and afternoon sessions may join our Lunch Bunch supervised hour between sessions at no additional fee. Campers should provide their own lunch or order from one of our lunch vendors.
Credit cards, debit cards or e-checks to be paid online are necessary to complete your camp registration.
Durham Academy requires a minimum enrollment of five campers for most camps. Registered families will be notified at least one week prior to the camp starting date in the event of a cancellation. Program fees are fully refundable when a camp is cancelled by DA.
Refunds for camp withdrawal:
- Withdrawals made with more than two weeks notice prior to the camp beginning are subject to a $20/camp cancellation fee.
- Withdrawals made with 1-2 weeks notice before the start of camp are subject to a $50/camp cancellation fee.
- Withdrawals made within the week before camp begins or once camp begins are not eligible for a refund.
- Credit card refunds will be automatically refunded to your credit card, but please allow 24 hours for the refund to drop into your account. E-checks will be refunded through the mail. The tentative refund dates are June 27, July 11 and July 25.
If, after a camp has begun, it becomes apparent that the Summer Program staff has not been made aware of specific medical, behavioral or emotional needs that cannot be accommodated by our staff, or if the camper is uncooperative with instructors or a detriment to other students, the camper may be removed from any current or future camp that she/he may be registered to attend without refund.
All children should come dressed appropriately for camp. Arts and crafts camps might require old clothing that can be stained. Athletic camps will require closed-toed shoes. Preschoolers and kindergartners are advised to bring one change of clothes.
Sun and Heat Safety
- If your child is sensitive to the sun, please send him/her with sunscreen already on and provide additional sunscreen in the backpack. *Due to potential allergies, camp staff does not apply sunscreen for campers.
- An extra water bottle is advisable.
- A hat may be useful during outdoor activities.
- Please label all belongings!
- On days of extreme heat and or humidity, our teachers and coaches will determine time spent outside to ensure the safety of all.
Medication and Allergy Alert
If your child requires medication or has allergy concerns, it is important that you provide the camp director with a written note or email explaining medical concerns at least one week before the first day of camp.
If a child is developing a fever during camp time, you will be contacted and asked to pick up your child as soon as possible. Campers need to be fever-free for 24 hours before returning to camp.
We expect all campers to behave respectfully and kindly in interactions with their instructors and peers. Camper behavior deemed inappropriate by the camp director may result in dismissal. In the event of a dismissal, tuition will not be refunded.