Durham Academy is committed to providing an education that includes varied opportunities for personal development. The school’s athletic program makes an important contribution to this goal.
A strong athletic program serves to emphasize that a fulfilled life will include complements to intellectual endeavors, including the satisfaction of physical attainment, the increased self-confidence that accompanies development of skills and the pleasure of camaraderie with one’s peers. Among Durham Academy’s important goals for students through participation in athletics are the following:
- To learn the value of and develop the habits of hard work, determination and self-discipline
- To learn the importance of working cooperatively toward team goals
- To learn to respond appropriately to victory and defeat
- To learn to compete with grace and good sportsmanship
- To develop athletic skills
Durham Academy is committed to the following principles:
- Providing a varied program of interscholastic sports
- Encouraging the broad participation of its students and the active involvement of its faculty in the athletic program
- Maintaining competitive varsity programs within the conference and state organizations
Durham Academy is committed to developing an athletic participation philosophy that is inclusive, yet preserves the integrity of interscholastic team sports and the integrity of competition.