Welcome to Heads Up, a blogging experiment that aims to:
- connect the people, parts, and principles of Durham Academy;
- share ideas about learning and human development;
- spotlight a few of the many wondrous things I get to see every day at Durham Academy.
Thanks for reading the posts below — and sending news, links and ideas worth sharing.
Michael Ulku-Steiner, Head of School
Amidst the dizzying whirl of info-super-saturated contemporary life, I enjoy finding distillers and sense-makers.
Tiffany Shlain is one of them. Recommended to me a month ago by a DA parent, Shlain is a filmmaker, author, and internet pioneer. She founded the Webby Awards and co-founded the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences.
Her Emmy-nominated original series THE FUTURE STARTS HERE offers a series of colorful and concise (4-6 minute) videos, including:
- The Future of Our Species
- A Case for Dreaming
- Punk Rock Diplomacy
- Robots, Botox, and Google Glass
- The Photosynthesis of Social Media
While Shlain’s self-promotion doesn’t feel entirely comfortable, her videos are at once comfy and provocative – good fodder for conversation among parents and children (ideally together). Check them out when you have some time over the coming vacation.
Image from Wikimedia Commons.
Choose groups to clone to: