Parents Association & Parents Council
The Durham Academy Parents Association supports the school's academic, social, fine arts and athletic objectives. Parents Association encourages volunteerism, raises and disperses funds, promotes communication and cooperation, and provides input to the school on issues of concern and interest to parents. All Durham Academy parents are members of the Parents Association.
The Durham Academy Parents Council is the governing board of the Parents Association. This group comprises members of an executive committee; division representatives; members of schoolwide committees on matters such as diversity, wellness and athletics; and parents who organize both community-building and fundraising events. See a list of the parents who serve on Parents Council.
Parents Bulletin Board
Congrats to the Cavs speech and debate team on an excellent showing at the Florida Blue Key Tournament! This tournament, held from Oct. 27 to 28 at the University of Florida in Gainesville, featured 1100 students from around the Southeast US and beyond
- Bhamini Vellanki ('18) was sixth place in the Congressional Debate Round Robin
- Yaakov Huba ('19) was a semifinalist (top 12) in Foreign Extemporaneous Speaking
- Yaakov Huba ('19) was a semifinalist (top 12) in Domestic Extemporaneous Speaking
- Emily Kohn ('19) was a semifinalist (top 12) in Humorous Interpretation
- Thomas Owens & Hebron Daniel ('18) were quarterfinalists (top 8) in Public Forum
- Nathan Dalva-Baird & Sheridan Kum ('19) were quarterfinalists (top 8) in Public Forum
- Bhamini Vellanki was 10th Place in Congressional Debate
As a team, DA placed 12th in Overall Sweepstakes. (It's worth noting that while DA brought a team of 10 students, the 11 teams in front of us brought teams of 30 students or more.)
Due in part to these impressive finishes, 11 students have now qualified for the Tournament of Champions that will be hosted at the University of Kentucky in April.