Parents Association & Parents Council
The Durham Academy Parents Association supports the school's academic, social, fine arts and athletic objectives. Parents Association encourages volunteerism, raises and disperses funds, promotes communication and cooperation, and provides input to the school on issues of concern and interest to parents. All Durham Academy parents are members of the Parents Association.
The Durham Academy Parents Council is the governing board of the Parents Association. This group comprises members of an executive committee; division representatives; members of schoolwide committees on matters such as diversity, wellness and athletics; and parents who organize both community-building and fundraising events. See a list of the parents who serve on Parents Council.
Parents Bulletin Board
Durham Academy's speech and debate went deep into the National Speech and Debate Association's 2015 national tournament, with eight of the 12 Cavalier competitors still standing late in the third day of the championships, held June 15 to 19 in Dallas.
The 12-member contingent was DA's largest-ever group to qualify for nationals. At the conclusion of the tournament, the team was named a School of Excellence in Debate for the fourth time in five years — an honor granted to the top 20 programs in the nation. The team was, for the first time ever, also named a School of Honor in Speech — an honor granted to the top 40 programs in the nation.
Each division included between 240 and 280 competitors, making DA's individual results particularly impressive:
- Eitan Sapiro-Gheiler: Ninth place in International Extemporaneous Speaking
- Connor Leech: Quarterfinalist in U.S. Extemporaneous Speaking (top 30)
- Derek Brown: Top 43 in Lincoln Douglas Debate
- Loften Deprez and Eilene Yang: Top 48 in Public Forum Debate
- Reena Sudan and Lily Burdick: Top 48 in Public Forum Debate
- Zain Clapacs: Semifinalist in Congress (top 70)
The complete roster of students who qualified to compete in nationals follows:
- Derek Brown '15 - Lincoln Douglas Debate
- Lily Burdick '15 - Public Forum Debate
- Zain Clapacs '15 – Congressional Debate
- Jackson Dellinger '15 - World Schools Debate
- Loften Deprez, rising senior - Public Forum Debate
- Abhi Kodumagulla '15 - International Extemporaneous Speaking
- Connor Leech '15 - U.S. Extemporaneous Speaking
- Michael Li, rising junior - World Schools Debate
- Rohan Patel, rising junior - World Schools Debate
- Eitan Sapiro-Gheiler '15 - International Extemporaneous Speaking
- Reena Sudan '15 - Public Forum Debate
- Eilene Yang, rising senior - Public Forum Debate