Parents Association & Parents Council
The Durham Academy Parents Association supports the school's academic, social, fine arts and athletic objectives. Parents Association encourages volunteerism, raises and disperses funds, promotes communication and cooperation, and provides input to the school on issues of concern and interest to parents. All Durham Academy parents are members of the Parents Association.
The Durham Academy Parents Council is the governing board of the Parents Association. This group comprises members of an executive committee; division representatives; members of schoolwide committees on matters such as diversity, wellness and athletics; and parents who organize both community-building and fundraising events. See a list of the parents who serve on Parents Council.
Parents Bulletin Board
We have reached the end of an extremely successful year in Durham Academy athletics. Thanks to everyone who supported the Cavs!
Both tennis teams had a banner year; the girls team claimed the program’s first-ever state championship, and the boys team reached the state championship match for the first time in 11 years. Six Cavaliers teams (boys and girls tennis, baseball, boys lacrosse, girls soccer and boys cross-country) claimed Triangle Independent Schools Athletic conference championships this year, and six teams (boys and girls tennis, boys golf, girls lacrosse, girls soccer and boys cross-country) finished either in the top four of their respective state tournament or reached the state semifinal round or further. Boys and girls tennis, boys and girls lacrosse, boys basketball and girls soccer all finished their seasons ranked in the News & Observer’s area polls.
Individually, we saw 18 Cavaliers earn All-State honors, and another 50 took TISAC All-Conference honors. Joy Callwood (girls tennis), Stella Stringer (girls cross-country), James Shaheen (boys tennis), Tyler Carpenter (boys lacrosse), Anna West (girls lacrosse), Kendall Bushick (girls soccer) and Virginia Capehart (girls track) were all named TISAC players of the year. Overall, our boys teams won the TISAC Prestige Cup — an all-sport metric that awards points based on conference finishes.
Just as important to these successes were the lessons learned on and off the fields and courts this year. I continue to be impressed with my fellow coaches and their commitment to excellence, teamwork, sportsmanship and playing the right way.
Thank you to all of our coaches, administrators, parents, athletic trainers, student-athletes and managers for your help and support to our program this year. You are the reason we were able to have 36 editions of Cavs Corner, hundreds of game recaps, tweets and Instagram posts and many shining moments that highlighted the 2017-2018 season. I have had a blast following our teams and telling the stories of their seasons.
In just nine short weeks, we will do it all over again as the 2018-2019 seasons begin with new teams and new goals. (See start dates for fall athletics here.) Next year, Durham Academy will be part of the North Carolina Independent School Athletic Association’s new largest classification of 4A. While not much will change and we will be competing with most of the same teams, there will now be four private school state champions in most sports. I hope you enjoy your summer and are looking forward to cheering on the Cavaliers in the fall!
Keeping up with the Cavs
As always, you can keep up with the Cavs on Durham Academy’s website and the DA App:
www.da.org/athletics: Schedules and Results
- For a list of all teams, their schedules and directions to games, visit www.da.org/teams.
- Click on an individual team to subscribe to automatic alerts about athletics results, postponements and cancellations, calendar and athletic event reminders. You can also import team schedules into your electronic calendars.
- For a recap of athletics results and scores, visit www.da.org/scoreboard.
- All information about the daily athletics schedule is also available on DA’s Athletics Hotline: 919-489-2534 (ext. 5).
The DA App: Schedules and Results
- The DA App allows you to keep up with athletics wherever you are. You can download the app from iTunes at http://bit.ly/DACavaliers. The DA App pulls athletics content directly from the DA website and delivers it to iOS-based devices including iPhone and iPad.
- The Athletics portion of the DA App (after launching, click Menu, then click Athletics to open) features results of recent games, a list of upcoming contests and team records.