Durham Academy’s speech and debate program was awarded the Eleanor E. Wright Award of Excellence in Debate at the National Catholic Forensic League Grand National Tournament on Monday. The honor designates DA as one of the top five schools participating in the tournament, out of 523 schools. The tournament, held in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, included more than 2,300 students.
Several students notched high finishes in the national tournament:
- Annie Ma ’20 was an octafinalist (top 48) in Original Oratory.
- Kiran Sundar ’19 was an octafinalist (top 48) in Original Oratory.
- Emily Kohn ’19 was an octafinalist (top 48) in Dramatic Performance.
- Mac Hays and Esme Longley ’20 were octafinalists (top 16) in Public Forum Debate.
- Bennett Dombcik ’20 was a semifinalist (top 4) in Lincoln-Douglas Debate.
Also participating in the tournament were Madeleine Genova ’20, Emily Donaldson ’20 and Jacob Palmer ’20.