Contributors: Bria Irizarry, Colleen Gunning and Ryan Killen
In the ever-changing world of interscholastic sports, the Cavalier basketball programs saw a quick addition to their schedules on Monday evening and hit the road to Raleigh on Tuesday afternoon to face St. David’s School. Both Durham Academy’s varsity boys and girls teams earned convincing wins after taking early leads on the Warriors.
The boys team is now 3-1 and is led in scoring by senior Cole Sinclair (85), in rebounds by senior Toby Harris (32) and in assists by ninth-grader Jayde Braswell (15). The boys will travel to face a tough Charlotte Latin team — which is 4-2 on the season — on Friday night.
Tuesday’s win moves the girls team to 2-1 on the season. Ninth-grader Lauren Walsh (32) leads the team in scoring, and sophomore Kendall Harris leads in both rebounds (24) and assists (5). The DA girls will also compete against a 1–3 Charlotte Latin team on the road on Friday.
Varsity boys basketball cruised to a 61-22 victory over St. David’s on Tuesday night. Senior Cole Sinclair got the Cavs rolling with a drive to the basket, followed by a three-pointer from the corner. Senior Toby Harris contributed with a quick eight points just over halfway through the first quarter as the Cavs jumped out to a 25-5 lead.
The Warriors could not get any shots to fall, and the Cavs were able to maintain control of the momentum. Harris and Sinclair led all scorers, with 16 and 15 points respectively. Sinclair also pulled in nine boards while Harris collected six rebounds and three blocks.
Overall, it was a very balanced night offensively for DA. Nine different players scored points — the most of any game this season. Ninth-grader Wyatt DeGraff had his most productive performance of the season with six points and three blocks. Meanwhile, senior Henry Leasure, junior Alex Dunk and ninth-grader Jayde Braswell each collected five points.
The win puts the Cavs at 3-1 on the season, hitting their stride before Friday’s big matchup with Charlotte Latin — a rematch of last season’s state semifinal game.
The girls added another win to their record after defeating St. David’s 52-35 on Tuesday night. Early three-pointers from sophomore Mariam Abdelbarr, ninth-grader Lauren Walsh and eighth-grader McKenzie Graves gave DA an early lead, but the Warriors stayed close in the first half.
It wasn’t until the start of the fourth quarter — when Abdelbarr led the team on a 13-2 run — that the Cavs were able to pull away with a convincing double-digit lead. Abdelbarr finished the night with 19 points, five rebounds and six steals.
Graves and Walsh carried the momentum, putting up a combined 21 points, two assists and three steals. Sophomore Kendall Harris was crucial in keeping the Warriors away from the hoop, as she pulled down six defensive boards and blocked five shots. Harris also added six points and two assists. Additional contributions from juniors Molly Hunter and Brooke Epstein and senior MK Bryant rounded out the full-team win for the Cavs.
DA girls basketball is now 2–1 on the season as the team heads into a three-game stretch this weekend, with matchups vs. Charlotte Latin, S3 Academy of Virginia and High Point Christian.
Keeping up with the Cavs
As always, you can keep up with the Cavs on Durham Academy’s website and the Durham Academy App (available on the Apple App Store).
- For a list of all teams, their schedules and directions to games, visit www.da.org/teams.
- Click on an individual team to subscribe to automatic alerts about athletics results, postponements and cancellations, calendar and athletic event reminders. You can also import team schedules into your electronic calendars.
- All information about the daily athletics schedule is also available on DA’s Athletics Hotline: 919-489-2534 (ext. 5).
The DA App: Schedules and Results
- The DA App allows you to keep up with athletics wherever you are. You can download the app from iTunes at http://bit.ly/DACavaliers. The DA App pulls athletics content directly from the DA website and delivers it to iOS-based devices including iPhone and iPad.
- The Athletics portion of the DA App (after launching, click Menu, then click Athletics to open) features results of recent games, a list of upcoming contests and team records.