By Bria Irizarry
Introducing our new Performance of the Week!
In lieu of our weekly Cav’s Corner, we have decided to involve you, the fans, in selecting a Performance of the Week that we will highlight in Thursday’s News & Notes!
Each Monday afternoon, visit @dacavsathletics on Instagram to find a poll where you can select one of two outstanding performances by our athletics teams that you hope to see recognized. You will have 24 hours to vote, and Tuesday afternoon, our sports information team will see which team garnered the most votes from our community and we’ll share it here in News & Notes!
This week’s Performance of the Week is the Durham Academy volleyball team’s impressive start to the season!
The varsity volleyball squad opened its 2021 season 4–0 after sweeping three teams in Charlotte during its first weekend of competition and toppling Wesleyan Christian Academy 3–0 on the road during last week’s contest.
DA took to the road on Aug. 13, traveling to Charlotte to take on Charlotte Christian School in the first game of the season. In its debut, the team executed a 3–0 sweep (26–24, 25–14, 25–17) over the Knights as senior Gabby Marchese tallied 14 kills, three aces and 18 digs, while junior Olivia Kohn contributed 25 assists and 18 digs.
The next morning, the Cavs handed Charlotte Country Day School its first loss of the season (25–22, 25–19, 25–14) and hours later defeated Providence Day (25–23, 25–12, 25–19). Marchese continued to lead the team on both ends of the court on Saturday with 24 kills and 36 digs. Olivia Kohn notched 74 assists, four aces and 12 digs while her sister, Hannah, headlined the defense with 55 digs on Saturday alone. Senior Stacey Kang added a balanced effort with four aces and 14 digs, while sophomore Kate Norry tallied 11 kills and six blocks for the Cavs.
“We all just love playing together,” Hannah Kohn said. She attributes much of the Cavs’ success to the team’s culture both on and off the field.
“No one gets mad at each other for mistakes, we love when someone does something great, and we love making fun of each other,” she said. “We have confidence as a team, but know that we need to earn every point and not just have it given to us.”
DA volleyball continued its winning streak with the help of the middle attack in last week’s win over the Wesleyan Trojans (25–14, 25–8, 25–16). Olivia Kohn headlined the offense with 38 assists and Marchese notched eight kills. DA was also strong off the service line as Steinberg and Kang contributed nine and six aces, respectively. The Cavs’ defense was also at its best last week, allowing the Trojans only 38 points total over the three games. Hannah Kohn led the efforts on the defensive end with 16 digs, while Olivia Kohn added 13.
Head coach Latacha De Oliveira is proud of how her team has started the season. “These girls are ballers, and they are getting the job done one point at a time,” she said. “Games are won in practice, and these girls are putting in the work.”
Cavs volleyball returns to the court next Tuesday night for their home opener as they host Burlington School at 5:15 p.m. in Kirby Gym! For a link to watch online, as well as our in-person spectator policy, visit www.da.org/stream.
Here’s a look at how all of our fall sports teams are doing this season:
Keeping Up with the Cavs
As always, you can keep up with the Cavs on Durham Academy’s website and the Durham Academy App (available on the Apple App Store).
- For a list of all teams, their schedules and directions to games, visit www.da.org/teams.
- Click on an individual team to subscribe to automatic alerts about athletics results, postponements and cancellations, calendar and athletic event reminders. You can also import team schedules into your electronic calendars.
- All information about the daily athletics schedule is also available on DA’s Athletics Hotline: 919-489-2534 (ext. 5).
The DA App: Schedules and Results
- The DA App allows you to keep up with athletics wherever you are. You can download the app from iTunes at http://bit.ly/DACavaliers. The DA App pulls athletics content directly from the DA website and delivers it to iOS-based devices including iPhone and iPad.
- The Athletics portion of the DA App (after launching, click Menu, then click Athletics to open) features results of recent games, a list of upcoming contests and team records.