By Bria Irizarry
We have had another short athletics week due to the observed holidays, but we are back for a six-week fall sports stretch! We hope you and your family will come out to support the Cavaliers this Friday at our Fall Frenzy! Our outdoor concession stand will be open at 3:30 p.m. ahead of three big contests for DA athletics:
This week’s Performance of the Week is courtesy of the boys cross-country team! The Cavs had eight top-10 finishers, who all came in under 20 minutes in their first meet of the year vs. Wake Christian on Sept. 2.
Ninth-grader Ben Hornstein took first place in his varsity cross-country debut with a time of 17:14. Senior Stewart Roessler crossed the finish line in second place overall, just over 30 seconds after Hornstein with a time of 17:45, and five seconds later, junior Sanju Patel finished in third place. Juniors Aaron Caveney and Zebee Jewell-Alibhai rounded out the top five at 18:07 and 18:11, respectively. Senior George Linney placed 10 seconds ahead of the Bulldogs’ first runner, and classmate Michael Yancey crossed the finish five seconds behind the same runner. Sophomore Miller Roessler was the eighth Cavalier runner to place in the top 10, finishing with a time of 19:23.
Hornstein is feeling excited about his team’s performance this early in the season.
“Not only do I think I can break sub 16:30, but I think many of my teammates can as well,” he said. “We are a very well-rounded team, and I think we have a good chance at competing for first place in states.”
The Cavs boys cross-country team followed last week’s performance vs. Wake Christian with a second-place finish at Wednesday’s meet with Ravenscroft. Despite racing on a tough course, the Cavs had four runners finish in the top 10, including juniors Rogers Brooks (21:20) and Conner Barritt (21:20), sophomore Connor Ennis (21:57) and senior Aamer Husain (22:09). Junior Charith Fernando (22:34) and sophomore Bobby Rossilli (23:17) finished in 11th and 14th place, respectively. Junior Brian Zhou had a breakout race and finished in first place overall but was disqualified after making the turn too early.
The boys and girls teams will host the DA Invitational on Saturday beginning at 8 a.m. DA will face off with Cary Academy, N.C. School of Science and Math and Jordan High School.
Keeping Up with the Cavs
As always, you can keep up with the Cavs on Durham Academy’s website and the Durham Academy App (available on the Apple App Store).
- For a list of all teams, their schedules and directions to games, visit www.da.org/teams.
- Click on an individual team to subscribe to automatic alerts about athletics results, postponements and cancellations, calendar and athletic event reminders. You can also import team schedules into your electronic calendars.
- All information about the daily athletics schedule is also available on DA’s Athletics Hotline: 919-489-2534 (ext. 5).
The DA App: Schedules and Results
- The DA App allows you to keep up with athletics wherever you are. You can download the app from iTunes at http://bit.ly/DACavaliers. The DA App pulls athletics content directly from the DA website and delivers it to iOS-based devices including iPhone and iPad.
- The Athletics portion of the DA App (after launching, click Menu, then click Athletics to open) features results of recent games, a list of upcoming contests and team records.