By Bria Irizarry
Happy Thursday, Cavs fans! It has been an action-packed week of Durham Academy sports, and we look forward to continuing the celebration Friday night at HOMECOMING! We have a full lineup of DA sports, and we would love to host you and your families to help cheer on the Cavaliers!
4 p.m. Field Hockey vs. Charlotte Country Day
4:15 p.m. Girls Tennis vs. Ravenscroft
5:30 p.m. Volleyball vs. Ravenscroft
6 p.m. Boys Soccer vs. Ravenscroft
For this week’s Performance of the Week, we have the DA girls golf team, which has had not just one record-breaking outing so far in 2021, but two! Last Thursday, DA set out to take on the defending state champion, North Raleigh Christian Academy, at Mill Creek Golf Course. The Cavs came out on top by just one shot, defeating the Knights 228 to 229. The team was led by seventh-grader Jenna Kim, who earned the title of medalist after scoring a 1-under-par 71. Ninth-grader Saia Rampersaud and junior Ona Lukes scored for DA with a 77 and an 80, respectively.
Head coach Greg Murray said the win last week was a total team effort.
“Our team is confident that when we play our best as a group, we can beat anyone,” Murray said. “Of course, defeating the team that beat us last year at states was a step in confirming that our confidence is warranted. We do, however, understand that this is a work in progress, and we have to continue to improve to make it happen when it counts most at the TISAC [Triangle Independent Schools Athletic Conference] and NCISAA [N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association] tournaments.”
On Tuesday, the Cavaliers returned to the links and set DA nine-hole records for fewest strokes and lowest score to par in their match vs. TISAC foe Cary Academy at the Meadows Course at Prestonwood Country Club. The Cavs combined for an even-par 108, beating their previous record of 110 with the help of Kim (35), Rampersaud (36) and Lukes (37).
On Aug. 21, in her first match on the varsity squad, Kim set two new school records in the team’s contest vs. Ravenscroft. Kim scored a 2-under-par 34 on the front nine holes and then scored a 3-under-par 69 on the full 18 to guide the Cavs to a victory over the Ravens.
Murray is proud of the way his two captains, juniors Kayley Kim and Lukes, have laid the foundation for success.
“They have set a tone of ‘team’ within a sport that is known for individual accomplishments,” he said. “The entire team takes pride in the group success, and I think that’s a reflection of our captains’ leadership AND the overall attitude of the returning players.”
DA girls golf is now 3–0 on the season and will look ahead to Tuesday’s matchup with Wesleyan Academy at Hope Valley Country Club and next Wednesday’s Tarheel Youth Golf Association’s State Challenge Tournament.
Keeping Up with the Cavs
As always, you can keep up with the Cavs on Durham Academy’s website and the Durham Academy App (available on the Apple App Store).
- For a list of all teams, their schedules and directions to games, visit www.da.org/teams.
- Click on an individual team to subscribe to automatic alerts about athletics results, postponements and cancellations, calendar and athletic event reminders. You can also import team schedules into your electronic calendars.
- All information about the daily athletics schedule is also available on DA’s Athletics Hotline: 919-489-2534 (ext. 5).
The DA App: Schedules and Results
- The DA App allows you to keep up with athletics wherever you are. You can download the app from iTunes at http://bit.ly/DACavaliers. The DA App pulls athletics content directly from the DA website and delivers it to iOS-based devices including iPhone and iPad.
- The Athletics portion of the DA App (after launching, click Menu, then click Athletics to open) features results of recent games, a list of upcoming contests and team records.