By Bria Irizarry
We are nearly halfway through the spring season, and Durham Academy athletics is in full swing. This week’s performance of the week highlights the girls soccer team!
The Cavs picked up their first win of the season after defeating Saint Mary's 4–0 in Raleigh on Friday afternoon. The Durham Academy offense came out strong with junior Faith Hanson sending in the first goal just three minutes into the game. The Cavs continued their energy in the second half with sophomore Bohan Gao sending one past the Saints goalkeeper from ninth-grader Beckett Moylan in the corner. Moylan again set her teammates up in front of the goal, as Hanson tapped in her second goal of the game. One minute later Hanson connected with ninth-grader Ellen Penry for the Cavs’ fourth and final goal.
On Tuesday, the Cavs earned win No. 2 after defeating Wake Christian 1–0 in overtime on Moylan Field. After a few missed opportunities in the first half, the score remained tied at zero. Durham Academy persisted through soggy conditions and again the game was scoreless after regulation. With just one minute left in overtime, senior Haley Fogg slipped one past the Wake Christian goalie to win the match. Head coach Susan Ellis said her team has adopted the motto “Be the Best” for the 2022 season.
“We look forward to getting better each day and staying committed to our core values even when things are hard,” Ellis said. The group is young but also very talented, she said. Ellis has been taking in some of the last moments with her three seniors, some of whom have been committed to Durham Academy soccer for more than five years.
Important Athletics Dates
- April 25: Durham Academy baseball vs. Trinity School of Chapel Hill at the Durham Bulls Athletic Park
- April 28: Student-Athlete Spring Signing Day, 10 a.m., Upper School Quad (will be live-streamed via NFHS Network)
- May 23: Spring Awards Assembly, 7 p.m., location TBA
Keeping Up with the Cavs
As always, you can keep up with the Cavs on Durham Academy’s website and the Durham Academy App (available on the Apple App Store).
- For a list of all teams, their schedules and directions to games, visit www.da.org/teams.
- Click on an individual team to subscribe to automatic alerts about athletics results, postponements and cancellations, calendar and athletic event reminders.
- All information about the daily athletics schedule is also available on DA’s Athletics Hotline: 919-489-2534 (ext. 5).
The DA App: Schedules and Results
- The DA App allows you to keep up with athletics wherever you are. You can download the app from iTunes at http://bit.ly/DACavaliers. The DA App pulls athletics content directly from the DA website and delivers it to iOS-based devices including iPhone and iPad.
- The Athletics portion of the DA App (after launching, click Menu, then click Athletics to open) features results of recent games, a list of upcoming contests and team records.