By Bria Irizarry
Durham Academy athletics wrapped up the fall season on Wednesday with its annual fall athletics awards event in Kenan Auditorium. With DA's COVID-19 protocols limiting the number of individuals in attendance, the majority of student-athletes and all family members watched the live-streamed event from home.
It was a memorable night celebrating the 24 TISAC All-Conference selections and 10 NCISAA All-State selections. Each varsity coach spoke about the contributions of their seniors, presented team awards and recapped their successes over a shortened, yet memorable, 2020 fall season.
The event concluded with a slideshow that documented team culture, competition and the fun that our teams had over the past few months after returning to the fields, courts and courses.
Also on Wednesday, DA athletics celebrated four senior student-athletes who signed National Letters of Intent to compete at the Division I collegiate level next year. Seniors Jackson Brimfield, Jay Shanahan, Quinn Shanahan and Anna Catherine Wilson signed their letters in front of their parents, coaches, administrators and of course, our virtual fans who tuned into the live-streamed ceremony. Brimfield will play golf for the University of Louisville, Jay Shanahan and Anna Catherine Wilson will run cross-country and track and field for Davidson College, and Quinn Shanahan will run cross-country and track and field for Butler University next year.
The DA athletics department's Cavaliers Sideline Store is running a November promotion for 15% off orders of $85 or more on orders placed by Nov. 30. Just use the promo code NOV20 (please note that some exclusions apply).
Keeping up with the Cavs
As always, you can keep up with the Cavs on Durham Academy’s website and the Durham Academy App (available on the Apple App Store).
- For a list of all teams, their schedules and directions to games, visit www.da.org/teams.
- Click on an individual team to subscribe to automatic alerts about athletics results, postponements and cancellations, calendar and athletic event reminders. You can also import team schedules into your electronic calendars.
- All information about the daily athletics schedule is also available on DA’s Athletics Hotline: 919-489-2534 (ext. 5).
The DA App: Schedules and Results
- The DA App allows you to keep up with athletics wherever you are. You can download the app from iTunes at http://bit.ly/DACavaliers. The DA App pulls athletics content directly from the DA website and delivers it to iOS-based devices including iPhone and iPad.
- The Athletics portion of the DA App (after launching, click Menu, then click Athletics to open) features results of recent games, a list of upcoming contests and team records.