By Bria Irizarry
The Durham Academy winter sports season officially kicked off on Wednesday, as the boys and girls swim teams competed in their first meet of the season at the Triangle Aquatics Center. The Cavaliers faced Cary Academy and Wake Christian in the first of three competitions this winter. Final results will be posted on da.org/teams as soon as they have been finalized.
Both varsity Cavalier basketball teams will take to the court for the first time this weekend, with away matchups at Cary Academy on Friday night and a home contest on Saturday afternoon vs. visiting Providence Day School. The girls will play Friday at 6:30 p.m. and Saturday at 2 p.m., while the boys will play Friday at 8 p.m. and Saturday at 3:30 p.m.
Nikki Graves, head coach of the girls basketball team, is looking forward to taking the season one game at a time. “The coaching staff is really excited about the progress of the varsity girls team,” she said. “We are still considerably young, but those young players now have a year of experience and know what to expect this season."
She added, “We are going to take each day as it comes and compete in every game that this COVID year will allow us to have.”
Boys basketball head coach Tim McKenna, who is entering his 15th season helming the program, feels that there is a lot of potential among his players.
“We are returning two all-state guards in seniors Cole Sinclair and Toby Harris, which will give us some high-quality scoring threats on the perimeter,” McKenna said. “These two, along with six other returners from last year's 28–5 final four squad, provide a great foundation to build upon.”
Keeping up with the Cavs
As always, you can keep up with the Cavs on Durham Academy’s website and the Durham Academy App (available on the Apple App Store).
- For a list of all teams, their schedules and directions to games, visit www.da.org/teams.
- Click on an individual team to subscribe to automatic alerts about athletics results, postponements and cancellations, calendar and athletic event reminders. You can also import team schedules into your electronic calendars.
- All information about the daily athletics schedule is also available on DA’s Athletics Hotline: 919-489-2534 (ext. 5).
The DA App: Schedules and Results
- The DA App allows you to keep up with athletics wherever you are. You can download the app from iTunes at http://bit.ly/DACavaliers. The DA App pulls athletics content directly from the DA website and delivers it to iOS-based devices including iPhone and iPad.
- The Athletics portion of the DA App (after launching, click Menu, then click Athletics to open) features results of recent games, a list of upcoming contests and team records.