By Bria Irizarry
Durham Academy girls lacrosse earned a 23–1 win over Cary Academy this past week and moved to 7–3 on the 2022 season. The game began with a flurry of offensive firepower from senior Brooke Epstein, junior Spencer Jennings and sophomore Evelyn Guyer. Guyer connected with Jennings for the first goal of the game and then scored two goals off of feeds from Epstein. Epstein combined for four assists — to Jennings, Guyer and junior Kyla Newkirk — to give the Cavs a 5–0 start. Durham Academy continued to make connections in the offensive end with four more assisted goals and a free-position goal from Newkirk to extend the lead to 10–0. The Cavs continued to win the draw control and junior Ada Hays also found the back of the net before halftime, bringing the score to 15–0 in favor of DA.
Eighth-grader Caroline Kantz opened up the scoring in the second half, and it was clear that halfway through the second half, the Chargers would not be able to overcome the large deficit. The Cavaliers tallied seven different goal scorers on the evening and the defense held Cary Academy to just two shots on goal. Senior goalkeeper Mirella Kades made one save and DA’s defensive unit caused six turnovers and had one interception. Epstein totaled 12 points, six goals and six assists and Guyer followed with 10 points, four goals and six assists as well as 11 draw controls. Newkirk contributed five goals and five ground balls on the day, while Jennings added four goals, one assist and five draw controls.
Epstein leads the team in goals on the year with 68, while Guyer leads the team in assists (63) and draw controls (61). Jennings leads the team in ground balls (69), and ninth-grader Saia Rampersaud leads the team in caused turnovers (17). The Cavs will hit the road to face Ravenscroft, which is 4–3 on the year, Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Raleigh.
Important Athletics Dates
- April 28: Student-Athlete Spring Signing Day, 10 a.m., Upper School Quad (will be live-streamed via NFHS Network)
- May 23: Spring Awards Assembly, 7 p.m., location TBA
Keeping Up with the Cavs
As always, you can keep up with the Cavs on Durham Academy’s website and the Durham Academy App (available on the Apple App Store).
- For a list of all teams, their schedules and directions to games, visit www.da.org/teams.
- Click on an individual team to subscribe to automatic alerts about athletics results, postponements and cancellations, calendar and athletic event reminders.
- All information about the daily athletics schedule is also available on DA’s Athletics Hotline: 919-489-2534 (ext. 5).
The DA App: Schedules and Results
- The DA App allows you to keep up with athletics wherever you are. You can download the app from iTunes at http://bit.ly/DACavaliers. The DA App pulls athletics content directly from the DA website and delivers it to iOS-based devices including iPhone and iPad.
- The Athletics portion of the DA App (after launching, click Menu, then click Athletics to open) features results of recent games, a list of upcoming contests and team records.