Contributors: Bria Irizarry and Andy Pogach
The Durham Academy boys basketball team had its season come to a close Friday night after a 58–35 loss to Greensboro Day in the N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association 4A state quarterfinal. This marked the Cavs’ third straight appearance in the quarterfinals. But the season did not end without some remarkable contributions from two senior starters, Toby Harris and Cole Sinclair.
Harris and Sinclair anchored the Cavs this season, and to say they have made an impact on the boys basketball program is an understatement. Harris, who has committed to playing basketball at Brandeis University next year, amassed 423 points and 158 rebounds this season. He also notched 39 3-pointers, 48 assists, 27 steals and 27 blocks. Sinclair contributed an impressive 408 points and 95 rebounds, along with 55 3-pointers, 36 assists and 20 steals.
Sinclair finished the 2020–2021 season as the boys basketball program’s all-time leading scorer with 1,785 points (341 more points than second place), playing in the most games in program history (141) and as the all-time leader in 3-point field goals (306). He also holds the school record for single season 3-pointers made (98 in his 2018–2019 campaign).
Harris ended his career with 1,022 points (11th best all-time), 176 3-point field goals (fourth best all-time) and is third best all-time in 3-point field goals in a single season (87 in his 2019–2020 campaign).
The last game of the Cavs’ 2020-2021 season matched them up with the No. 1 seed in the east, Greensboro Day, which defeated the Cavs 58–35. The Cougars got out to a hot start against DA and never looked back. Greensboro Day led 29–10 with just a couple minutes remaining in the first half, until the DA had its best moments of the game. The Cavs were struggling to get anything going offensively, but senior Cole Sinclair proved to be the answer. He single-handedly brought the Cavs back within 10 points as he drilled deep 3-pointers on consecutive possessions to give DA life. Unfortunately, the Greensboro Day defense was suffocating in the second half, and the Cougars pulled away late in the third quarter to secure the victory. Varsity boys finished with a 12–8 overall record and 6–3 record in conference. This marked three straight seasons of the Cavs making it to the state quarterfinals.
Keeping up with the Cavs
As always, you can keep up with the Cavs on Durham Academy’s website and the Durham Academy App (available on the Apple App Store).
- For a list of all teams, their schedules and directions to games, visit www.da.org/teams.
- Click on an individual team to subscribe to automatic alerts about athletics results, postponements and cancellations, calendar and athletic event reminders. You can also import team schedules into your electronic calendars.
- All information about the daily athletics schedule is also available on DA’s Athletics Hotline: 919-489-2534 (ext. 5).
The DA App: Schedules and Results
- The DA App allows you to keep up with athletics wherever you are. You can download the app from iTunes at http://bit.ly/DACavaliers. The DA App pulls athletics content directly from the DA website and delivers it to iOS-based devices including iPhone and iPad.
- The Athletics portion of the DA App (after launching, click Menu, then click Athletics to open) features results of recent games, a list of upcoming contests and team records.