By Bria Irizarry
Durham Academy boys golf is the recipient of this week’s performance of the week after claiming the 2022 Triangle Independent School Athletics Conference (TISAC) title on Monday afternoon! The Cavaliers narrowly defeated both North Raleigh Christian Academy (NRCA) and Ravenscroft School by just one point at Hope Valley Country Club. DA faced Ravenscroft twice in the regular season and lost both matches by less than seven points, but were able to pull away with a win this go around.
After the first nine holes, the Cavs were plus five, with eighth-grader Tate Duensing leading shooting at par; junior Jack Condray scoring one over par; and classmates Nicholas Hogan and William Chapman scoring two over par. Eighth-grader Hall Chapman and senior Michael Barnes rounded the turn with six over par. After the first group finished, the Cavs appeared to be in last place, but as the second group finished, the Cavs closed the gap to one over par with a 73 from Duensing and a 77 from Hogan. Condray and Barnes were last to finish for DA, scoring a 77 and 80 respectively, and they put the Cavs in the mix for the title. As finishers for Ravenscroft and NRCA came in, it became clear that DA would take the match by a single point, earning 303 as a team and leaving Cary Academy in last place with 308.
Monday’s TISAC victory was especially momentous, as this is head coach Greg Murray’s final season with the team. Murray has been a member of the DA community for 43 years as a faculty member, coach and DA parent. Among his many roles over the years are coach of the boys and girls golf teams, girls basketball team and (long ago) football team; academic leader of the physical education department; Upper School advisor; yearbook advisor; and director of Senior Challenge. This school year, both his girls and boys golf teams have claimed the conference crown. Thank you, Coach Murray for your never-ending dedication to our athletics department over the past 43 years!
What: Durham Academy Spring Athletics Awards Assembly
When: Sunday, May 22, at 6 p.m.
Where: Horton Hall, Middle School Campus
Keeping Up with the Cavs
As always, you can keep up with the Cavs on Durham Academy’s website and the Durham Academy App (available on the Apple App Store).
- For a list of all teams, their schedules and directions to games, visit www.da.org/teams.
- Click on an individual team to subscribe to automatic alerts about athletics results, postponements and cancellations, calendar and athletic event reminders.
- All information about the daily athletics schedule is also available on DA’s Athletics Hotline: 919-489-2534 (ext. 5).
The DA App: Schedules and Results
- The DA App allows you to keep up with athletics wherever you are. You can download the app from iTunes at http://bit.ly/DACavaliers. The DA App pulls athletics content directly from the DA website and delivers it to iOS-based devices including iPhone and iPad.
- The Athletics portion of the DA App (after launching, click Menu, then click Athletics to open) features results of recent games, a list of upcoming contests and team records.