At Durham Academy, teachers change lives. They are genuine, curious, passionate, striving, generous and accountable teachers/learners. They nurture, inspire, engage and challenge students of all ages and backgrounds, modeling the path to moral, happy, productive lives in an inclusive school community. Does this sound like you? We can't wait to get to know you!
- Assistant Varsity Swim Coach (part-time, seasonally)
- Assistant Varsity Girls Basketball Coach (part-time, seasonally)
- Athletic Trainer (part-time)
Durham Academy accepts applications to fill vacancies as they become available. Due to the high volume of inquiries we receive, we regret we cannot respond to telephone calls and we are unable to interview every candidate. We will process employment application materials as quickly as possible and make every effort to acknowledge receipt of your application.
- Competitive salary
- Tuition discount & discounted Extended Day program for children of employees
- Health/vision/dental insurance
- Flex medical spending program
- Retirement and long-term disability benefits
- Extensive professional development opportunities
- Tuition assistance for graduate-level work
- Summer grant and sabbatical program
- Purchase program for computer desktops/laptops
- Access to Upper School fitness center and reimbursement for fitness programs
Throughout its history, Durham Academy has recognized that diversity enriches learning. Co-ed since its founding in 1933 and one of the first schools to integrate in Durham, DA has committed itself at every level — from the boardroom to the classroom — to the dual pursuit of excellence and equity.
Diverse religious, socioeconomic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, sexual orientations and different learning styles are represented within the student body and our faculty. Durham Academy values the healthy and dynamic environment this diversity provides.
It is the policy of Durham Academy to make employment decisions on the basis of qualifications for a specific job without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national or ethnic origin, age, veteran status, or the presence of a disability, except where such is a bona fide occupational qualification.
DA Faculty & Staff By the Numbers
Founded in 1933, Durham Academy is a coeducational, independent day school with 1,237 students in pre-kindergarten through grade 12. DA is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and is a member of the National Association of Independent Schools.
overall student/faculty ratio
faculty of color
of full-time faculty have advanced degrees
years of teaching experience on average
average years of tenure at DA