|Fulfilling our purpose to support Durham Academy’s mission to enable our students to live a moral, happy and productive life, the Parents Association strongly endorses the Safe Home Conversation Program. The Safe Home Conversation program, targeted to parents of students in grades 7 to 12, strongly encourages parents of DA students to remain apprised of social gatherings and other out-of-school activities involving DA students so that healthy social environments free from the use of alcohol, illegal drugs and tobacco products are nurtured. Parents Association believes that communication and cooperation between DA parents and students fosters the development of and is essential to maintaining healthy social environments.|
Parents Association urges parents to follow the following guidelines:
- Require your children to obtain your permission before inviting guests to you home or onto your property for a social gathering.
- When students attend social gatherings as invited guests at your home or on your property, be sure an adult chaperone will be present and provide, at a minimum, regular and periodic supervision.
- When students attend a social gathering at your home or are on your property as invited guests, forbid the use of alcohol, illegal drugs and tobacco products.
- If you are going to be away from home when it is likely that DA students may visit or be invited to visit your home for a social gathering, make provisions for an adult chaperone.
- In order to encourage open lines of communication between DA parents, call or email parents of DA students and welcome calls or emails from others concerning out-of-school social events that DA students may attend. Agree to keep such conversations confidential upon request.
Demetra Kontos, Parents Association President
Erica Lewis, Upper School Parents Association Representative
Lee Wollman, Upper School Parents Association Representative
Cynthia King, Middle School Parents Association Representative
Jennifer Riley, Middle School Parents Association Representative