Welcome to Heads Up, a blogging experiment that aims to:
- connect the people, parts, and principles of Durham Academy;
- share ideas about learning and human development;
- spotlight a few of the many wondrous things I get to see every day at Durham Academy.
Thanks for reading the posts below — and sending news, links and ideas worth sharing.
Michael Ulku-Steiner, Head of School
Upper School Technology Coordinator and Computer Science Teacher Julian Cochran shared some on-target ideas from George Couros, who blogs about innovative teaching, learning, and leadership.
Read Couros' thoughts here, and see if you think Durham Academy measures up to his big three:
- Focus on relationships
- Opportunities outside of the classroom
- Learning in a respectful environment
Julian Cochran (US Technology Coordinator, Computer Science Teacher, and Varsity Boys Soccer Coach) shared an interesting article from yesterday's New York Times. It includes some thoughts from John Palfrey, the current Head of Phillips Academy who presented at DA a few years ago (while serving as the Director of the Berkman Center for the Internet and Society at Harvard). An excerpt from the article:
Choose groups to clone to: