Welcome to Heads Up, a blogging experiment that aims to:
- connect the people, parts, and principles of Durham Academy;
- share ideas about learning and human development;
- spotlight a few of the many wondrous things I get to see every day at Durham Academy.
Thanks for reading the posts below — and sending news, links and ideas worth sharing.
Michael Ulku-Steiner, Head of School
Lower Schoolers launched their week with a rousing assembly performance by Billy Jonas, a one man band from Asheville. In fact, the band was about 300 strong- with our students standing, clapping, stomping, and making joyful noise with their bodies.
Click here to see Billy's web site. Click here and here to see a couple of short videos captured on my phone. There you'll see and hear some of the instruments played, named, and described by Billy Jonas:
• magic music moccasins (shaker shoes)
• industrial re-percussion (buckets and water bottle)
• hip hop hardware (garbage can bass drum)
• nimbus 2000 (tambourine stick)
• frame drum
• 6 string acoustic guitar
• fusenklanger (foot percussion thing)
• bucket of joy, shaker of joy
Here's to any teacher who …
Choose groups to clone to: