Welcome to Heads Up, a blogging experiment that aims to:
- connect the people, parts, and principles of Durham Academy;
- share ideas about learning and human development;
- spotlight a few of the many wondrous things I get to see every day at Durham Academy.
Thanks for reading the posts below — and sending news, links and ideas worth sharing.
Michael Ulku-Steiner, Head of School
One True Hill
At the end of this month I’ll attend what promises to be a terrific party across the street.
Our partner The Hill Center is hosting an Open House to share its new self with old and new friends.
Did you know that The Hill Center helps 2,200 struggling learners across the state of North Carolina each year? Or that nearly 75% of students served by Hill attend public schools? Or that the Hill Center is developing an iPad learning system that could revolutionize early literacy interventions?
Among the speakers who will precede a casual cocktail party with demonstration stations:
- Beth Anderson (pictured at right), Executive Director, The Hill Center - Joined Hill in July 2014 from Teach For America and Duke's Center for the Advancement of Social Entrepreneurship
- Dr. Jennifer Diliberto, Clinical Associate Professor, UNC-Chapel Hill School of Education - Hill Center Alumna and Associate Professor of Special Education
- Dr. Mark Edwards, Superintendent, Mooresville Graded School District - Hill Partner School District and 2013 National Superintendent of the Year
- David Reese, President and CEO, East Durham Children's Initiative - Hill Community Partner and Durham Civic Leader
Please click here if you might like to join me at the Open House and learn more about Hill's programs, partnerships, and impact in the Triangle and beyond.
Choose groups to clone to: