Preschool/Lower School Library
The Kirby-Horton Library in the Preschool and Lower School houses more than 20,000 items in inventory, including books, electronic media and equipment. The Preschool/Lower School program offers flexible scheduling and open access, which is best practice for elementary school libraries.
Flexible scheduling allows classrooms access to the library for instruction when they need it, rather than at predetermined times throughout the year. This also allows librarians the chance to teach information literacy skills via classroom curriculum and gives students authentic ways to practice these skills.
Open access allows teachers to utilize the library when they need it or allows a group of children to research something as it comes up in the classroom. That way children see the library as a place to go when you need to know something or just enjoy a book.
- Develop a collection that supports curriculum and promotes a love of reading
- Integrate technology throughout the program
- Provide flexible access to the library resources and promote recognition of libraries as a lifelong resource
- Offer authentic learning opportunities to develop information literacy skills
- Every day access for students who want to check out books
- Audio Playaway books for younger readers
- An annual guest author visit